The best low calorie condiments
June 14, 2016
Low calorie condiments are truly a secret weapon when dieting. The can take a bland food and make it mediocre. For example, simply adding hot sauce to lean chicken breast adds a level of heat and flavor that makes it much better tasting without adding a single calorie.
The overall guideline when choosing a condiment is to check the label. If you don’t have a label to inspect, follow these two rules and you should be fine:
- Stick to condiments that are thin. If it is thick and chunky (think mayo & ketchup) it is likely not low calorie.
- Stick to condiments that are savory and not sweet. It’s amazing how many processed foods have added sugars.
Here are some of the best low calorie condiments:
- hot sauce (as you can tell I love Cholula)
- seasonings (tony’s, mrs. dash)
- spices – preferably fresh not dried (cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- hot peppers, onions, some relish
- 3 fermented friends (soy sauce/brags, sauerkraut, kimchi)
Here are some condiments to avoid:
Be on the look out for added sugars or fats.
- mayo & tartar sauce
- salad dressing (most)
- BBQ sauce
- BWW sauces
- Nut butters
- jams & jellies