Why I love running at night
May 01, 2016
I strongly prefer running at night. The main reason is I feel much faster in the dark. It’s the same reason running on a trail can be exhilarating. When you are closed in a bit you feel like you are moving faster in relation to your surroundings. The ground slips away more quickly.
Running is all about solitude. It’s largely a mental struggle between you and the road. Being alone helps me feel stronger and quicker. The lack of distractions makes the struggle more transparent.
Pros of running at night
- Perception – I feel like I am going faster.
- Fewer distractions – there are fewer people and cars at night.
- Cooler – As the sun dips down so do the temperatures. I prefer running when it’s cooler.
- Less wind
- Convenience – I lift during the day and run at night. A shower later covers me for the run/lifting. If I ran earlier I would have to shower 2x.
Cons of running at night
- Lack of Flexibility – If it’s raining or you are tired you can’t shift to earlier in the day.
- Wide eyed and bushy tailed for bed? – I shower after I run and then I hop in bed. Sometimes the combo run/shower wakes me up.
- Visibility – It’s a bit less safe at night since it’s harder to see runners.